Monday, February 16, 2009

It looks like somebody has a case of the Mondays

Today was a little overwhelming. I am currently student teaching in Blanchard working with 2nd and 3rd graders. This week in math we're doing fractions. I was somewhat nervous and unsure altogether of how to explain fractions to the students and whether any of them already knew anything about fractions. My first group consists of 2nd graders. These particular students are much lower developmentally but they always surprise me with things and concepts they grasped so I wasn't sure how the fractions would go. Um...not well. I started off reading a book about fractions to introduce the concept and common terms and fractions. No. It went all wrong. I just ended up stopping in the middle and asked my teacher for help. Then after that group left I just broke down. My teacher let me step outside so I could cry over my complete failure. I felt horrible. My wonderful teacher told me that she has times like that still and to not worry about it. So I continued on with fractions for the other two groups, another 2nd grade group and then a 3rd grade group. Each group was better and better because developmentally the students were higher and higher.

So glad I got my first cry out of the way. I'm sure it won't be my last. And happy to report the rest of the day went pretty well. So tomorrow going to change up the original plan a bit and make things more enjoyable for EVERYONE!

Hope everyone else had a great day especially my good friend Jeana!! No more Pump it Up stories to share.....tear.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Oh girl, I am so sorry! What that does mean is that you are certainly in the right profession if you are that passionate about what you are doing. Tomorrow is a new day! Love ya!

Tales of a 5th Grade Teacher said...

Dude, this story is near and dear to me because I have been right there many times in the past few months. The payoff's totally worth it though.